The kitchen is the place where culinary masterpieces are born, where the whole family and close people gather around the table, where you want to be alone with your best friend and tell him all your secrets, so the room should be perfect: beautiful, practical and cozy. There are many options for decorating the kitchen space, one of which is the decoration of the kitchen with decorative stone. It will help to create the right atmosphere, suitable for any occasion.
Natural stone is certainly good, but it has one huge drawback - it costs a lot. A worthy alternative can be a cleverly disguised decoration of this natural element of space, namely, flawless imitation, made with the help of artificial stone. Kitchen design will not suffer from such a replacement, and the person who chooses the more affordable option will benefit because they will receive a number of advantages related to the properties of this material, including:
- integrity (it has a homogeneous structure, its surface is perfect, while products made of natural stone are often blamed for the separation of colors and textures);
- variability (with the material under the stone, you can bring to life any ideas, it is easy to process, it can withstand any tricks of the master without sacrificing quality: grinding, turning, cutting and other methods of bringing it to perfection);
- aesthetics (comparing the visual effect of finishing with natural and artificial materials, it is difficult to find differences, and the first and second options make the room warm, hospitable and comfortable);
- strength (artificial stone in the interior of the kitchen can boast that it adequately copes with aggressive factors, its attackers, including temperature differences, high humidity, chemical compositions of cleaning products and mechanical damage, such elements that decorate the kitchen interior can not last one dozen years);
- accessibility and safety (a design project that uses material from non-natural origin is much cheaper. Besides, finishing stone with a kitchen gives another important advantage - it minimizes the risk of situations dangerous for people’s life and health, the material is fire-resistant, it does not ignite hazardous substances).
Decorative stone in the kitchen can be used as decoration for various elements of the internal space of this room, including:
- Sten. This solution allows to achieve the most successful compromise between aesthetics and practicality. Wall panels made of artificial stone create a feeling of harmony and warmth. Such a decoration is appropriate, both for the traditional classic interior style, and for home country country. Applying this finishing material, you can completely transform the kitchen of a city apartment, turning it into a cozy dining area of a country house. Protection from dirt, dust, grease and other contaminants is another factor that tends to buy decorative wall panels made of stone. Experienced housewives know how difficult it is to deal with the consequences of cooking delicious food that remains on the surface of the wall, and how quickly the corners, pasted over with wallpaper, wipe off and come to an untidy look. The artificial stone became a salvation (in order to return it to its original appearance, it just needs to be rubbed).
- Work zone. Decorating kitchen walls with decorative stone is not the only option. No less competent course will use this material in the design of the working area elements (tabletops, sinks, aprons). This will not only decorate the interior, but will also allow you to experiment in the kitchen without fear for the spoiled appearance of easily contaminated surfaces.
- Decorative interior details. Interesting and original look arches, niches, imitations of the hearth or fireplace, columns, bases of racks or kitchen islands and window sills, the design of which was carried out with the help of artificial stone. Such additional elements give the interior a touch of grace and wealth. They emphasize the excellent taste of the host and are remembered for a long time.
Many designers, creating projects of kitchen-living room or studio-type premises, introduce steps, podiums, partitions and other elements that involve space zoning made of this aesthetic and durable material into the interior with decorative stone.
Criterias of choice
Decorating a kitchen with artificial stone requires a serious approach to the choice of the material itself, but the variety of types and the mass of characteristics inherent in a particular type of artificial stone greatly complicate the task for the buyer. Lack of special knowledge can play a cruel joke and turn the joy of the upcoming repair into one sheer disappointment. To avoid such a development, it’s worth it to decide on two main points before going to the store or ordering online, namely:
- Sheet thickness What should be this indicator decides the purpose of the material, including:
- 3 mm (used for the manufacture of facades of kitchen furniture, decorative inserts and other light hinged elements);
- 6 mm (suitable for surfaces that are not subjected to active use, so a doorway or arch trimmed with such a stone will be able to preserve its original appearance for a long time even with such a small coating thickness);
- 10 - 17 mm (this is the most demanded range of values; almost all kitchen furniture made of stone consists of such sheets, including worktops, bar counters, aprons, sinks and other parts that experience constant loads and have to constantly protect themselves from aggressive factors, moisture high temperature, mechanical stress).
- Color and pattern. The idea to use decorative stone and wallpaper (wood panels, tiles, paintwork) in the design of the kitchen leads to the need to find the optimal combination of colors that can give the desired effect. Make it easy. Manufacturers offer a huge range of colors of artificial stone (white, beige, gray, black and any other colors that fully satisfy the requirements of the buyer). Imitations for products made of natural stone are so realistic not only because they can completely recreate its color, but also because they can visually match exactly with its texture (inclusions, veinlets and other special features of the stone are completely identical to the natural counterpart).
In order for the kitchen transformed with the help of a decorative stone to become ideal and for a long time remained so its owner should do two things, including:
- purchase quality materials (brands CORIAN, Montelli, Staron, Hi Macs, Hanex, TRISTONE, other reliable manufacturers);
- entrust the work to specialists (having in their arsenal experience, knowledge and a set of necessary tools).