The self-leveling floor has high mechanical strength and resistance to chemical, aggressive environment, which allows its use in many rooms. The duration of operation depends on the proper preparation, compliance with installation requirements and the quality of the mixture.
Classification of self-leveling floors
For high-quality flooring 2 layers of self-leveling floors are usually used:
- the main one, which smoothes out all irregularities and runs up to 8 cm thick;
- finishing, which determines the appearance of the flooring in the room.
In turn, polymer coatings are:
- polyurethane, which, depending on the structure, are subdivided into thin-layer and highly filled ones;
- methyl methacrylate, the most resistant to overload and aggressive environment;
- epoxy with brittleness and high moisture resistance.
Advantages of a bulk floor
Due to operational characteristics and installation features, the following advantages of the self-leveling floor are distinguished:
- high aesthetic performance, which manifests itself in a wide variety of design solutions, for example, the use of 3-D images;
- mechanical strength, allowing the floor to remain intact even after exposure to heavy loads;
- durability, providing up to 15 years of comfortable operation;
- the high moisture resistance allowing to use a bulk floor in a bathroom;
- UV resistance, resulting in self-leveling floors in the apartment does not fade from exposure to sunlight;
- the environmental friendliness allowing to use bulk floors in the room where there are children or people inclined to an allergy;
- the absence of odor, despite the influence of external factors, for example, heating from an electric heater;
- compliance with fire regulations, since all types of self-leveling floors are fire resistant and do not emit harmful substances during combustion;
- fast installation, largely dependent on the type of mixtures used;
- the ability to complement any interior design, for example, by applying decorative self-leveling floors;
- seamlessness, as a result of which the floor in the apartment does not let the spilled water down.
Choosing self-leveling floors for the apartment, you should consider the possible disadvantages of this flooring, which will have to face. For example, the cost of flooring, which is especially high when using imported flooring mixes. Also, the floor can only be poured at a certain humidity, which is difficult to control.
It is quite difficult to pour the self-leveling floor alone, as the solution quickly hardens and loses its properties, therefore, the work should be done as a team.
The foundation for the self-leveling floor is a concrete slab, cement screed, ceramic tile. The floor in a private house is often made of wooden flooring and the main advantage of self-leveling coatings is the ability to fill without dismantling in case of good condition and high strength of the old floor. At the same time to prevent leakage of the self-leveling floor through the slots, all openings between the boards should be carefully filled.
To perform the fill you will need the following set of tools:
- Low speed drill or perforator for mixing the solution. It is necessary to take into account that the power of the tool is enough, and it does not fail due to overload or overheating. Fill in the room should be continuously, so the time for cooling the drill will be extremely short.
- Mixer nozzle. It is important to determine in advance the drill or perforator will be used for mixing the solution, as they have a different cartridge. As a result, the nozzle for mixing from the drill is not suitable for a punch and vice versa.
- Buckets. The volume of buckets must be at least 20 liters. Do not use dirty buckets, as the fill will turn out interspersed, which will result in poor performance.
- Putty knife. The mixture, though it has the name of self-leveling, but under the battery and in hard-to-reach places, it is better to pre-level it to get a better flooring.
- Needle aeration rollers. The presence of air bubbles significantly reduces the mechanical strength of the self-leveling floor and, as a result, its durability. Therefore, air should be disposed of by carefully rolling the surface with a roller. For more convenience, you should choose a roller with a telescopic handle.
- Mocrostupes Special shoes with spikes, which allows you to walk on the still non-frozen bulk floor for its even distribution over the entire surface and other operations.
- Laser level. Most important when a large area of the room, or if you plan to self-leveling floors 3D.
Features of flooring in rooms with high humidity
For rooms with high humidity can be attributed to the bathroom and toilet. Bulk floor in the bathroom must withstand constant high humidity, frequent water on the surface, including hot, it should be easy to clean, but still not slippery; Do not allow germs to multiply quickly, which is especially important for the floor in the toilet.
The choice of a bulk floor for the damp room is most difficult. For example, it is forbidden to use thin-layer polyurethane floors due to their tendency to delamination with prolonged exposure to moisture.
Features of self-leveling floor in the kitchen
The main factors that distinguish the self-leveling floor in the kitchen from flooring in other rooms are:
- the presence of high humidity near the sink;
- drops of fat and oil near the stove;
- the existence of a risk of spilling of aggressive substances, for example, acetic essence, which can damage the self-leveling floor in the kitchen;
- increased hygiene requirements.
Features of self-leveling floor on the balcony
Bulk floor on the balcony is most exposed to external factors. For example, a black self-leveling floor in sunny weather can heat up to a high temperature, which is impossible in a living room. For this reason, for a floor covering on a balcony, it is important that the linear temperature expansions of the base and the finish cover coincide.
Regardless of which self-leveling floor is chosen, compliance with the requirements of the manufacturer, the choice of quality materials and tools will allow you to comfortably use the flooring without flaws for several decades.