The final chord in the repair of the dwelling is to glue the baseboard to the ceiling. It is also called baguette, fillet, cornice or ceiling plinth. The paper panel, which was glued on the upper edge of the wallpaper about thirty years ago, delimited the ceiling and walls. She did not hide any defects and unevenness of the surfaces, and sometimes even emphasized. Decorative ceiling plinth not only highlights the aesthetic beauty of finishing materials, but also helps to smooth out all the defects of construction and repair works.
Classification of ceiling plinths
The variety of types and types of ceiling plinths provides an opportunity for home decoration in any style. Ceiling cornices are classified according to the material from which they were made, as well as according to width and texture. Modern industry uses the following materials for making baguettes:
- Gypsum. Gypsum cornices in modern housing is rare, mainly in mansions and cottages of people with high income levels. Another baguette of gypsum can be found in buildings related to the monuments of history. Using a plaster ceiling plinth in an interior, it is necessary to remember its fragility and big weight. Installation of such a baguette is better to entrust the master.
- Polyurethane. Fans of design with elements of antiquity polyurethane baguettes relished because of the appearance of stucco. When using such a cornice, you need to carefully consider all the details. Despite the high cost, craftsmen prefer to work with polyurethane baguettes, because the material takes any desired shape without external damage. Because of the moisture resistance, you can install a polyurethane ceiling plinth in the bathroom, and the property does not absorb kitchen aromas makes it suitable for kitchen decor. Still such baguettes are painted in any color, keep a relief, are simple in installation and easy on weight, are suitable for stretch ceilings.
- Tree. Wooden baguette is suitable for design in a classic style with decorative elements made of the same material. It is often used when decorating walls with brown or dark beige woodwork panels, or with cabinets high to the ceiling. Designers recommend the use of wooden cornice in combination with wenge furniture. When purchasing a ceiling plinth made of wood, you need to pay attention to the presence of UV treatment to minimize the environmental impact on the material and extend its service life.
- Polystyrene and foam. Foam and polystyrene baguettes have the greatest variety of shapes and sizes. Ceiling skirting of these materials are of low cost, light in weight, moisture resistant, not subject to decay and the effects of fungal microorganisms. Their main disadvantage is the fragility and change in hue under the influence of a light source or heat placed near it.
- Plastic or PVC. Plastic - the most common types of ceiling baseboards because of the cheapness and variety of shapes, textures and shades. More PVC baguettes are light in weight, resistant to various influences, moisture-resistant and durable. The plastic plinth comes with ready-made color, so you can immediately choose the necessary options: black, and wood, and beige, and under wenge.
For reasons of economy, many people do not want to use the services of professionals when choosing and installing baguettes on the ceiling. Few people know how to choose a ceiling plinth for a specific design, and expert advice in this case will be useful. But for those who take the choice for themselves, there are several recommendations:
- Beware of interior overloading with decorative elements. If the walls are embossed, then the skirting is better to choose smooth. With the smooth surface of the wall decor, the room will be decorated with baguettes with patterns.
- For high rooms, it is desirable to choose a wide ceiling plinth, since the aesthetics of thin will be lost against the background of large space.
- The plinth on the stretch ceiling is better to buy polyurethane, which is able to withstand a considerable weight of the structure.
- When selecting a baguette for a two-level ceiling, it is recommended to purchase plastic or polyurethane for the structure itself, since gypsum or wood can collapse the structure. Wooden or gypsum plinth with multi-level ceilings are allowed along the outer perimeter near the walls.
- If interior decoration requires a color ceiling plinth, then you should buy white polyurethane and paint it. If necessary, the color of staining can be changed.
Some disadvantages of ceiling baguettes
The growing popularity of baseboards on the ceiling does not make them perfect. Correctly installed ceiling eaves will fit into any design of the room, but you should not place sources of bright light near them. Installation of baseboards near heating appliances or pipes to avoid deformation should also be avoided. Exceptions are plaster baguettes.