Installing a fire alarm in a residential area is becoming an increasingly popular service. The number of fires in apartments increases annually, and to protect themselves and their property from fire, experts recommend to put a high-quality fire alarm system. However, it is necessary to understand that the fire alarm system in an apartment has its own characteristics of installation and operation, and only their observance guarantees the safety of an apartment building.
Features of the fire system
Fire fighting equipment, which is installed in an apartment building, works in almost the same way as industrial equipment:
- Sensors are being installed throughout the apartment that are trying to determine the temperature increase, the turbidity of the air, or a surge of thermal radiation.
- When a potential threat is detected, data is transmitted to the central console, which gives commands to the alert unit and the communication system.
- Then the light and sound warning system turns on. It allows you to wake the tenants of the house in order to start the evacuation process as soon as possible.
- The sensor can also transmit information about the fire to the fire station or activate fire-fighting equipment in the house.
The most effective equipment combines both a smoke detector and an alert unit. In residential apartment buildings it is recommended to install systems that integrate all apartments. This will increase the chance of evacuation to residents of the upper floors.
The installation of the alarm in the apartment should be done in such a way as to effectively fix the fire, and instantly report a dangerous situation to both residents and firefighters, so only experienced specialists who can take into account all the nuances should design the alarm. For the installation of fire-fighting equipment in apartments should contact the organization that has a certificate for such work, issued by the relevant regulatory authorities.
The design of alarms begins with the calculation of the volume and area of the dwelling. Information must be supplemented by temperature and humidity. After that, a plan for installing sensors is being worked out so that they cover all the rooms.
The result of the apartment alarm design is a scheme that includes a precise indication of the location of the sensors, the mains of the power networks and the localization of the installation of the control panel. Using the scheme will allow the installation of the system quickly and efficiently.
When choosing fire detectors, the following characteristics should be considered:
- Speed reaction. The best solution would be equipment that catches not only fire but also smoke.
- The appearance of the case. When installing an alarm system in residential buildings, not only its functionality is important, but also the presentable appearance of the case. It should fit into the overall interior of the room.
- Service. The alarm will not be used by professional electricians, but by ordinary residents of the house, so its maintenance should not be difficult. If necessary, it should be possible to independently change the batteries in the sensor or clean its case from contamination.
- Efficiency. The most important requirement for alarms is their ability to monitor a specific area. This indicator should coincide with the size of housing.
The presence of an emergency call button is recommended. This greatly increases the effectiveness of the fire alarm.
For installation in apartment buildings, the following sensors are recommended:
- ceiling heat, which record the increase in ambient temperature;
- ceiling and wall infrared, detecting the presence of smoke on the reflected signal;
- ceiling, which record the presence of smoke and temperature increase, and at the same time are equipped with a light and sound warning system.
In a private house or apartment, the best solution is to use combined sensors. In this case, wired devices can be installed only during the repair, so that it is possible to hide the wires for power and communication. Wireless sensors are mounted at any convenient time. They are able to catch all sorts of threats, and only need a periodic change of batteries.
Features of the installation of a fire alarm
Installing a fire alarm in a residential apartment or private houses includes equipping all areas of the room with separate sensors, so the sensor should be installed in the kitchen, bathroom, in the hallway and in all living rooms. However, in some cases it is possible to close several zones with one instrument.
When installing a fire alarm, you must insist on its natural sources of heat. In this case we are talking about batteries, electric heaters, a gas stove and an oven. Equipment must ignore heat from these devices in order to accurately detect a fire.
Infrared sensors can respond to electromagnetic radiation from routers, speakers, microwaves and other modern equipment, so the calibration of sensors should be trusted only by professionals. Otherwise, private false positives are possible.
Additionally, it is recommended to install an emergency call button. Such a button will signal a fire in the event that the alarm system did not work.
For apartments and private houses, it is recommended that the sensors be arranged at the repair stage. Before installation, you must run wires for power and data transfer. This will transfer data to the rescue service. For power supply it is better to use a low-voltage line. After installing the wires, they need to be puttied and to finish the walls and ceiling.
If the decision to install a fire alarm system came after repair, it is better to limit yourself to wireless sensors. They are fastened with screws, dowels and bolts. Communication with the base takes place with the help of a radio signal, and batteries are used for power supply. Periodically, the owner will have to change the batteries in the device, and test the quality of the radio.