The light bulb, which has been used since childhood, was invented by the American inventor Thomas Edison and was named after him. Edison's lamp is an artificial source of illumination in which the body emits light under the action of an electric current. Most often, a tungsten spiral thread is used for this purpose. To isolate the source of illumination from external influences, it is placed in a glass flask. Special holders fix tungsten so that it does not come into contact with the outer shell.
The first samples were performed in a vacuum version - air was pumped out inside a glass vessel. Now they do it with low power lamps. Inert gas is pumped into models with high power. It reduces heat loss, makes the work of the lighting device more rational and profitable.
Advantages and disadvantages
The ingenious inventor came up with a lighting device with a number of advantages, which until now, 100 years later, do not lose their relevance.
- Cheapness This is one of the main advantages in comparison with other lighting fixtures.
- Easy to install. Even the child will screw the light bulb into the cartridge.
- Lamps have a long period of work.
- Available - can be purchased at any store.
- Versatile - suitable for all household lighting fixtures, and until recently, consistently used in production. Chandeliers, table lamps, wall lamps, small ceiling spotlights - incandescent lamps are suitable everywhere.
- Eco-friendly. Natural exterior components and glass insulation of the inner contents made it possible to create an ecologically safe lighting fixture. At the beginning of the twentieth century, it was a revolutionary discovery that made it possible to abandon kerosene lamps and candles, known for their soot and smoke.
There is nothing perfect in the world, and lamps that have served for many years also have a number of negative qualities.
- Fragility. Thin glass bulb requires careful handling of such lighting fixtures.
- Low strength tungsten helix. Incredibly thin filament easily breaks down at the slightest fluctuations.
- Bad economy. Before the invention of LED lamps, a simple light bulb had no alternative. With the advent of competitors, the question arose that most of the energy of the old lamp is spent on heating the tungsten filament. Today it is the main drawback of lamps.
- Bad light quality. The yellowish tint that accompanies even high power lamps is bad for the eyes.
It is impossible to look at the lamp, as a sharp and bright light hurts the eyes. However, based on the fact that this is the cheapest and most affordable kind of lamp, the popularity of Edison's invention is not in danger.
Edison's discovery broke into the life and industry. Replacing old light sources was quick. For convenience in the home, lamps were put on the lampshades, lampshades that scattered the light, made it not so sharp and more pleasant for perception. For this purpose, used metal, cloth, frosted glass, and other materials. They made the use of lighting more comfortable.
The top of the decor for the lamps were crystal chandeliers. The incredible shapes of the ceiling lights in several tiers, with a large number of crystal plates, made the room in which such a chandelier was installed solemn and radiant.
Depending on the need, lamps of different power were used. From this indicator changed and size.
Over the time since the invention, Edison's lamp has not changed the design. This is a glass flask, inside which is installed the element of incandescence. Only the outer part of the luminaires is changing - depending on the fashion, new technologies, ceiling lamps, floor lamps and wall lamps change. The lamp that is screwed into the lighting fixture remains unchanged. For use in special conditions, the design of the lamps changed depending on the need.
Narrow and long lamps for industrial use, small with low power for optical devices, handheld flashlights and technology, conventional table lamps, microscopes, alarm systems - this is not the full range of use of the Edison invention. The phrase that it is impossible to imagine our life without the invention of a talented American is not a formality, but a statement of fact.
Innovations for greater efficiency
Today lamps of the last century have found a second wind. The lamp with Edison's lamp belongs to the style of "retro", it creates a warm, cozy atmosphere in the room. New technologies have made the work of the lamps more efficient by reducing the energy consumption for heating the tungsten filament. The alloy of tungsten and osmium makes the incandescent element more durable, and injecting inert gases into the flask reduces the energy losses for heating the alloy.
Do not disassemble the lamp and unscrew the base.
Decorative decoration of lamps in combination with new technologies allows you to create an intimate and comfortable atmosphere in the room. Edison lamps in the interior of a modern house have not lost their relevance and are not going to give up the position. These are devices made with the use of new technologies, more economical and efficient. The soft, golden light that they emit conquers lovers of home warmth and comfort.
Paying tribute to fashion and the discovery of Thomas Edison, modern designers have created new LED lamps, in a style imitating the beginning of the last century. Edison retro LED lamps fit perfectly into the interior of the room, designed in the old style. Creating a general atmosphere of the beginning of the twentieth century, such lamps have the advantages inherent in standard LED light bulbs. As a rule, these are table lamps, lighting structures with special holders, made in the same old style.
Despite the fact that the invention of an American engineer for many years and today his discovery is called Edison's retro lamp, although thanks to modern technologies, it does not lose its relevance. A new principle in the manufacture of lamps allows it to compete with popular LED lamps. Even the inventors of LED lamps largely repeated the development of Edison. All lamps are based on the principle of the famous American - under the action of an electric current, the source gives off light to the environment. The new lamps use a different source, but it works in a glass flask, like the first lamp.