The interior design looks unfinished without a properly selected ceiling or floor plinth. There is a huge variety of slats, depending on the material of manufacture and color solution, so any style of the interior can be supplemented with the missing element.
Role in the interior
Decorative protrusions have not only an important functional purpose, but also perform aesthetic tasks:
- The floor plinth in the interior masks the unaesthetic gap between the wall and the floor. Below him are cables;
- The ceiling plinth hides the joints between the wall and ceiling trim, and the room size visually increases. Decorative strip can become a bright accent in the room, giving it charm and individuality.
The plinth can be of a simple form or with a complex pattern, but before choosing a ceiling plinth or a plinth for the floor for a room, it is necessary to decide on the material.
You need to acquire a ledge that would fit harmoniously into the overall interior. The most common plinths:
- Wood. The material is quite expensive because of its environmental friendliness and durability. Well in harmony with the flooring and furniture. Often used walnut, oak, bamboo, maple.
- MDF. Manufacturing technology - pressing wood fiber in high temperature conditions. Ideal for the bathroom and kitchen due to resistance to temperature extremes and moisture. MDF plinths are either painted or laminated.
- Veneered. During manufacture, various toning options are used. The base of the plank is pine or spruce, and the coating is valuable wood species.
- Plastic. PVC tab is the most popular type. It is resistant to environmental influences and has an attractive value. Thanks to a variety of textures, a plastic baseboard decorates an apartment in any style. It is easy to install and able to adapt to the characteristics of the room.
- Polyurethane. This element of polyurethane foam is on a modern fashionable level in the interior. It is beautiful, easy to clean, harmless and resistant to mechanical damage. Polyurethane plinth is an inexpensive, but high-quality option to replace stucco. He is able to realize the most daring design ideas. Polyurethane skirting is made even the most complex curved surface.
- Under the carpet. The plate is made of plastic and has a special groove for inserting fabric. The plinth helps to securely fix the carpet and promotes a smooth transition from the floor to the wall.
- Ceramic. They are used in rooms with ceramic or porcelain stoneware flooring.
- Cork. Used in exclusive and unusual interiors. The product can be veneered or made of solid cork.
Each of these options has its own advantages and disadvantages. All of them are easy to install and give the room a complete look.
White plinth in the interior is especially popular. This color is often used for the ceiling or window frames, so this frame will fit well into the interior.
Snow-white strips can visually increase the area of the room.
The material of white baseboards for the floor is selected based on the parameters of the flooring. For example, if the floor is solid oak, then the right decision would be to install a wooden plinth.
In spacious rooms is appropriate wide skirting in the interior. It will give it a solid look, especially in combination with columns. A ledge at the bottom of the room will protect it from damage.
White skirting floor and wall require careful maintenance and cleaning. They easily accumulate dirt and dust on themselves.
Fans of bold decisions can complete the finishing of the room with a fillet of contrasting color. The dark edging of wenge wood is an interesting decorative move. It looks interesting in combination with black floor tiles and bright decorative elements - red or yellow.
One of the primary colors in interior design can be repeated in baseboards. The best look strips to match the pieces of furniture. The plinth color is allowed in the shade of any one detail of the room. For example, curtains, eaves, picture frames, textiles.
You can choose another option and decorate the baseboard in the interior of the room in a shade that is not used in decorating, but combined between the basic tones of decoration or furniture.
The choice of plinth in the color of the room elements
You do not always want to use just a classic white plinth in the interior. Sometimes to maintain the balance of the product is chosen according to the color of the elements of the room:
- Floor. If we choose a standard combination of a floor with a floor plank, it will not attract attention. Sometimes you can not find the right color plinth, then comes to the aid element for painting. The composition is chosen strictly under the shade of the existing flooring. Coloring is carried out before or after installation.
- Walls. Plinth in the interior under the color of the walls also do not play any decorative role. But they are able to visually increase the height of the ceiling. Plank is painted in a dark or light shade simultaneously with the wall decoration.
- A door. The opening in the wall, canvas and protrusions are made in a single color scheme. From the side it looks like the plank is ringing all the space of the room. So black or colored plinth combines all elements of the interior.
- Window. An interesting and bold combination is used infrequently. It looks most impressive if the window opening is black, olive, gray or made in any other non-standard shade. Designer reception does not work with a window closed curtains.
- Furniture. It is the largest composition in the room, so the color design in a similar shade creates a stylish interior. For example, a kitchen with a gray suite is complemented by a gray plinth, regardless of the tone of the walls, ceiling or floor.
- Ceiling beams. White wide skirting favorably emphasize the elegance of white beams. The same effect will produce a dark bar with a dark product.
High baseboard in the interior is able to act as an independent element of the decor, especially if it is made in a bright shade. With a wide protrusion, you can hide communications and other non-aesthetic details. The main thing is that its color is combined with other colors in the interior.
The choice depending on the area of the room
For a harmonious combination of plinth in the interior takes into account the size of the room:
- a large room. Here the choice of baseboards in width, pattern and shape is almost limitless. For high ceilings, a wide ceiling plinth in the interior is selected so that it is not lost in the open spaces of the room. An element with a pattern for stucco will turn an ordinary overall room with a height of 2.8 m into a festive hall;
- small room. In such rooms a neat small plinth looks good. Polyurethane plinth with light stucco is allowed. A ledge with overlaid panels will create a stunning medallion in rooms in a romantic or classic style.
For the design, both standard plinth sets and custom-made ones are used according to the design. The owner of the premises can only decide which option is most suitable for him.