Piece wooden parquet (the individual parts of which are also often called dies, rivets, and simply parquet flooring) will probably still be considered one of the most beautiful eco-friendly floor coverings for a long time that can last for many decades if used properly. This material will be an excellent choice for you if you decide to use it in any living space: in the nursery, in the living room, in the bedroom. On a pleasant tactile and always seemingly warm surface, floor holders from parquet often love to walk barefoot. Due to the low thermal conductivity coefficient, parquet prevents the spread of cold from the base on which it is laid, even if it is made of concrete. Piece parquet, possessing many positive qualities, constantly attracts the attention of a large number of buyers.
Even a parquet floor that has lost its original luster and brightness of colors can be easily updated using sanding. And having covered it with varnish after such restoration work, you will protect it and improve its aesthetic qualities. Due to the strength of the slats and the different directions of the arrangement of wood fibers in the parquet flooring, the stability of the dimensions of the floor from the parquet is ensured along with hardness.
Parquet floor is a hypoallergenic building material that does not contain harmful chemicals. In addition, it also has antistatic properties, due to which there is no accumulation of dust on the parquet floor that can cause allergic reactions in children and adults.
The parquet floor has sound-proofing properties. And while moving on it, there are no unpleasant sound effects, such as hum or crackles, like on a floor covered with laminate.
Parquet laying options
Applying various ways of placing elements of this building material, selecting the texture of wood and using tabs, you can create real artistic masterpieces with which you can decorate your apartment or house. However, the development and implementation of unique compositions is a very difficult task, which, as a rule, is only for professionals.
At the same time, using even many traditional well-known methods of laying parquet, you can achieve an aesthetically attractive appearance of the floor in the interior of almost any home. Further, several fairly simple, from the point of view of implementation technology, methods of placing parquet strips (without the use of inserts) are considered, which allow, however, to obtain a beautiful and durable flooring.
This type of layout received the name of the Christmas tree due to the fact that the rivets of parquet are arranged with a Christmas tree, that is, in such a way that each die represents a branch of a fir tree or its paw. The herringbone parquet looks impressive and is highly stable, since the load in this case is evenly distributed on the parquet, and therefore the appearance of cracks is unlikely. The disadvantages of the Christmas tree can be attributed only to some of the complexity of the coating installation process, but it is felt mostly only by those who are engaged in such work for the first time.
A Christmas tree that is laid out with the use of dies that differ in color and texture looks much more interesting.
Parquet "French Christmas tree" is often also called a ladder. It is a little more difficult to stack than when placing dies with a simple Christmas tree, since in this case they need to be cut at an angle of about 45 °, but sometimes the slats of the parquet are cut at other angles, for example, 30 ° or 60 °.
Although such a layout does not provide the strength and stability inherent in a conventional Christmas tree, but the floor laid out by this technology looks exceptionally impressive in a modern interior, including because such a pattern is very rare.
When using the "deck" layout, the planks are glued sequentially with mixing in relation to the slats of the adjacent row. In this case, depending on the algorithm by which the parquet plates are shifted, there are three layouts:
In small rooms for the deck is better to use a diagonal layout, which can visually enlarge the room.
This popular pattern, which is often used today when laying parquet, is obtained by mounting the dies in several pieces into squares, each of which is successively turned 90 ° in relation to the other four surrounding it.
If, for example, in all squares with a vertical orientation of parquet plates to use planks of dark wood, and in the rest - of light, then you can get a floor that looks like a chessboard. It is believed that the Vietnamese as well as the deck, is able to expand the space. Among its other advantages - resistance to deformation. True, some apartment owners believe that such a design has too much simplicity and simplicity.
Laying parquet herringbone
Before you start, you must acquire:
- tape measure;
- kapron thread, cord or fishing line;
- electric heater (if the room temperature is low and there is no heating system);
- rubber mallet (for tapping);
- construction stapler (or nails / screws);
- special knee pads (to protect your knees from overload);
- roller for varnishing parquet;
- hard putty specially designed for parquet;
- parquet lacquer.
It is also necessary to take care that the air temperature in the room is in the range of 16-25 ° C, and its humidity is in the range of 45-60%. At the same time, the moisture level of the base (subfloor) should be less than 12%.
It is under these conditions in the room that it is necessary to withstand at least a week before laying the piece parquet. The base on which the rivets will be mounted must be firm, dry and even. Its unevenness will cause additional loads on the parquet dies, which will lead to premature wear. Laying on a flexible and wet floor is prohibited: deformation of the parquet is possible.
The best option is the laying of rivets on the base, closed sheets of plywood.
How to perform laying Christmas tree on the base, covered with plywood?
- Before you begin, make sure that you have acquired an equal amount of "left" and "right" rivets. They differ from each other in that if they are arranged vertically and facing towards them, so that they have a comb at the top, then the “left” plate will also have a comb on the left side, and the “right” plate, respectively, - on the right.
- In the middle of the room, stretch the nylon thread for the length of the entire floor, which will serve as a guide.
- Take two parquet tiles and connect it with a Christmas tree, inserting the long side crest of one of them into the groove on the short side of the other. Previously all joints must be smeared with glue.
- Cover, using a spatula, glue and plywood base in the place where the first assembled pair of parquet floor will be located: namely, directly under the stretched nylon filament.
- Press the strips to the plywood base to squeeze out the excess adhesive, and immediately remove the excess.
- Fasten the strips with nails / screws (or with staples using a construction stapler), driving them either into the groove or into the ridge of the dies at a 45 ° angle and inserting their caps. In addition, each parquet with a length of 40 cm must be secured in at least two places.
- Lay the remaining strips, each time promayvaya base, on which they will be attached to the width of each plate, with a layer of glue thickness from one to one and a half millimeters. While working, you need to move along the nylon thread and build the first Christmas tree, which will be the basic construction, and the rest of the parquet flooring will be joined to it from both sides.
- After creating the supporting Christmas tree, begin to fix the wood flooring to the right and left of it, gradually expanding the laying area until you reach the walls.
- Fill narrow spaces near the walls with dies cut to size.
- Insert wedges between the surface of the wall and the ends of the rivets to ensure a gap of about two to three millimeters.
When applying the strips and inserting their crests into the grooves, always finish the connection with a rubberized hammer or with a conventional hammer, but through an adapter in the form of a piece of parquet flooring.
What else needs to be done after the parquet is completed?
- After completing the installation, you need to wait about three days and polish the flooring at least two times.
- Spread gaps (if available) with special parquet putty.
- Primed parquet flooring;
- Varnish it to give shine in at least three layers.
When carrying out putty, priming and varnishing, always keep in mind that it is necessary to give time (specified in the relevant instructions, but usually equal to one day) for the parquet to dry before proceeding to the next technological operation.
So, you have done the laying of the parquet tree! Install the skirting board and enjoy the beauty you have created with your own hands.
The current technology makes it possible to mount the herringbone parquet, both in normal format and in enlarged format. A clear geometric pattern and wood texture can add sophistication and charm to the design of almost any interior.