After installation of the window or the front door, it is also necessary to finish the slopes to give the whole structure a complete, attractive look.
For this purpose, can be used:
The laminate slopes on the entrance doors and on the windows are not only beautiful, but in many cases it is not difficult to make the covering of the openings on your own.
The advantages of laminate
The fact that laminate slopes are more and more often seen both in offices and apartments is explained by the presence of laminated panels, widely represented on the construction market today, of a number of positive qualities listed below:
- Affordability (material can be purchased almost everywhere and at an affordable price).
- Aesthetics (has an attractive appearance, it is well combined with other finishing materials, especially with wood, since the laminate is mostly made with a surface that imitates one or another type of wood).
- A wide range (in shades, texture, wear resistance classes and cost).
- Simplicity of installation (finishing of slopes with laminate can be done even by beginners in the field of construction work).
- Wear resistance (the material has a high resistance to abrasion, it is not easy to scratch it, even with metal objects).
- Durability (withstands moderate shocks and bending loads).
- Moisture resistance (some modifications of the laminate have not only the upper but also the lower protective layer, which counteracts the penetration of moisture into the thickness of the material).
- Long service life (20 years or more).
All the information given in the article is equally suitable for window and door laminate slopes, therefore only the door slopes will be considered in the future, although the finishing of the door laminate laminate, in turn, differs little from the technology of the door interior door slopes.
When choosing this material to make laminate slopes, it is recommended to adhere to the following rules:
- There should be a compatibility of both types and shades of the floor covering and the door leaf with facing of slopes.
- Contrasting colors are best avoided, as a rule, it is a sign of bad taste.
- When choosing an expensive wear-resistant laminate, it is necessary to take into account the fact that after 15 or 20 years the interior of the room in which the concrete door slope of the laminate is located can change significantly and maybe more than once.
- Look good slopes on the doors of laminate, the color matching with a touch of the door.
- An important role in the plinth, which must also be in harmony with its colors with both the color of the floor and the doors, and the material of the slopes.
If you cover the floor with a laminate, taking into account that in almost all cases many segments of different lengths remain in this case, consider whether they can be used for facing the door slopes. On the one hand, this will save money, and on the other hand, it will be a deliberately advantageous solution in terms of compliance with the laws of aesthetics and providing a combination of shades.
How to make slopes for the door with their own hands
Today, the most popular are mainly three ways of mounting laminate on the slopes of both door and window. Consider them in order:
- With the use of adhesives. Most often with this use either liquid nails, or similar compositions. To avoid unnecessary problems, you need to pre-level the surface of the base of the slopes, using either plasterboard or plaster.
- With the construction of the frame. This method is rather time-consuming, but allows you to get a smooth surface of the slopes without first leveling the base, and at the same time can be laid insulating layer. Laminate plates in this case are fixed with nails or glue on the frame of wooden bars or plastic. It can also use the mortise method.
- Using foam. The easiest option available to anyone who wants to make laminate slopes with their own hands. It is a bit like the first option, but - easier, since the removal of irregularities occurs automatically due to the expansion of the foam.
In addition, the laminate can be installed in all three cases discussed above:
- Vertically. Then the lamellae are interconnected along a narrow part (although this is often not required if the laminate has sufficient width).
- Horizontally. Separate short plates of material are connected to each other using locks, starting from the bottom to the top.
The next stage - marking laminate and sawing
The slopes should close the wall without gaps in the place of the opening. You need to start the installation from the strip located across the door jamb in its upper part. After it is fixed, determine the length of the side lamellae. To cut the laminate is better to use an electric jigsaw, but you can use and hacksaws with small teeth. Also, do not do without square, metal ruler and tape measure. If you are afraid to make a mistake in the correct size, you can make a template from some other material available, for example, from gypsum board or cardboard.
To do this work with their own hands, many choose the installation of slopes using foam, as compared to other methods, it is the simplest technology, therefore, this method of mounting laminate panels is discussed below.
Before proceeding with the self-installation of slopes, you must first define the limits of the limits in which the laminate will be located. What is needed around the perimeter of the door frame to install auxiliary strips that limit the movement of the slats.
Next, first apply the top element and check that when you open the door, it does not cling to it. Then, an assembly foam is applied on the upper part of the door frame and on the non-front side of the laminate, after which the laminate plate is applied with the reverse side to the mounting place and fixed with masking tape.
The longer the length of the tape, the more reliably it holds the material.
Do not apply a very thick layer of foam on the lamellae, as this may cause their displacement.
Next, install the side parts.
Take into account when cutting laminate, if it is installed in the locks, that marking should be done only in assembled form.
So that the laminate panels do not disperse after installation and gaps between them do not form, spread the joints of the slats with glue.
After the final solidification of the mounting foam, its protruding surplus must be cut with a knife with a sharp blade. To mask the gaps in the joints, the gaps in the corners, both internal and external, must be sealed with a decorative plastic corner, which is usually chosen to be close in color to the shade of either the door, or the floor, or the laminate. The final design of the whole structure will give the trim.
Summing up, we can say that laminated laminate slopes are a very modern, good solution. You can create a very attractive door or window opening with your own hands. At the same time, the use of laminated materials will provide you with quality, and will require minor financial expenses.