Derain (popularly called cornel) is a universal plant used to decorate a garden and create a green fence. The most popular and sought-after types of red turf and white turf of "Siberian" are common in temperate climates in most parts of the country.
In addition to useful berries, hedge from deren brings diversity to the garden landscape, changing the appearance every season:
- In spring, the plant is decorated with abundant flowering and bright shoots;
- In the summer - multi-colored leaf paints, beautiful berries;
- In autumn - changing bright red, white and variegated color;
- In the winter - bright red trunks and, of course, at any time of the year, design decoration.
Performing a decorative function, the turf simultaneously strengthens the soil on the slopes, ravines, at the same time enriches the poor and stony ground.
The cornel family consists of about 50 species, which summarize and subdivide into 4 subspecies:
- Swida (white or svidina white) consists of 20-30 varieties, a characteristic form: a small tree or a bush with flowers without bracts;
- Cornus - common dogwood, consists of 4 species;
- Chamaepericlymenum or Canadian Deren - includes 2 types of plants with a characteristic form of creeping shrubs;
- Benthamidia - 5 types of trees with variegated color and original flowers.
Cornel trees and shrubs come to us from temperate regions: North America, Europe and Eurasia. However, all types of cornel, and they number more than 50, are well mastered not only in temperate climates, but also in nearby territories. Fans of gardeners and professional designers have their own collection of dogwood trees with which they work. These are the most beautiful and spectacular plants, planting and caring for which are minimized and consist of the formation of a crown and periodic watering in drought.
If you summarize the types of turf, their characteristics and characteristics, then it is worth highlighting the advantages due to which this plant is so common:
- low cost of seedlings;
- high survival rate;
- trouble free growth;
- large selection of varieties.
Each of the species does not require special cultivation or care, it consists in planting in open ground, watering and periodically forming the crown:
- the first year until the bush gets stronger, regular watering is necessary;
- in the 2nd year of life, the plant needs watering only 2-3 times a month (if the year is dry) and crown formation, i.e. Haircut derena, which is held in February and March.
White and red Deren is beautiful not only during flowering and summer. He also paints the space with bright colors in autumn and especially in winter, when bright red trunks of the red light up on the background of a white blanket.
The shoots of the red turf are a special period because they are brightly colored branches in green, crimson and yellow tones, and the combination of several types of turf in a certain sequence creates an amazing color 3D-carpet.
Derain in landscape design is involved in the creation of interesting compositions that adorn home gardens. The shrub can also be planted on stony steep slopes. Strong root system inhibits erosion and helps maintain the balance of nature.
Refined in its simplicity, the Deden bush is a waterfall shrub, 1.5-4 meters high and 2 m wide. The plant enters the force quite quickly, 3 years after planting. From the third year of life, the plantations are framed by a small crown, which can be gradually shaped. Trees are planted at a distance of 2-2.5 meters from each other, shrubs - 1.5 m.
Carantus or variegated turf in landscape design is used for landscaping the ground part alone or in combination with other species and varieties growing above 2 meters. High-growing species form a crown, but since the trunks of trees are located at a distance of 2-2.5 meters, they form holes that can be filled by low-growing ornamental shrubs. To do this, use a variegated look or Canadian deren. Moreover, care for a hedge is kept to a minimum and only requires trimming to create an aesthetic appearance.
Another plus that is important for harmonious growth is that trees and bushes do not overwhelm each other. Deren plant prefers to live in the penumbra, which is especially important for low-growing varieties used in groups with tall.
Derain is used as a living fence alone or in a group. The high survival rate of the dogwood makes it possible to plant it next to species of trees, which emit around them resinous oils and powerful antibacterial esters:
- juniper bushes.
Forming bushes care for them
Regular watering an adult dogwood tree is not needed. The main thing is to organize watering while the tree adapts. If planting occurs in September-October, then watering of seedlings is carried out only 3 times: during planting (8 liters), after 1 day and after 4 days (control irrigation). In the spring, when drought occurs, watering should continue. In the second year, watering can be limited by maintaining a minimum amount of moisture (only 4-6 times per month during drought).
If planting is carried out in spring, watering is carried out 1-2 times in March-April, and in May, when hot weather becomes hot, watering should be increased and all summer should continue.
In spring and autumn, when the soil around trees is loosened, fertilizers are applied. It should be mineral supplements or organic.
The main care for white turf consists in the initial formation of the crown and watering in dry weather. Initially, the tree is cut when planting only in height. In the future, care consists of trimming old branches and outgrowing new growths. Pruning is carried out, starting with 3-5 years of life, every spring or autumn.
Trees multiply by all possible types:
- By cuttings - cut branches in the spring are stuck into the ground and are watered during drought. After 2 months, the twigs take root and continue to grow;
- Under the bones - since the tree does not require vaccination, the sprout from a stone turns out to be a full-fledged tree, although this is the longest way of propagation;
- Rooting - breeding Deden by dropping the lower part of the branch in spring or autumn. For this purpose, only young shoots aged no more than 2-3 years are suitable. After six months, you can transplant the stalk.
Decorative deren is a favorite plant of many gardeners. Its berries with a characteristic sour-tart taste are used in cooking and medicinal purposes. The simple beauty of trees and shrubs, variety and unpretentious care allow you to create unique compositions that change their appearance and color in each season.