Mixborder - an exquisite accent in landscape design in the form of a complex flower garden, where a charming composition is created from plants of various species. Perennial garden plantings and annuals, ornamental deciduous shrubs and conifers, wild flowers and mosses, even pot plants are relevant here. Proper creation of mixborder - art that is subject to every connoisseur of beauty in his own garden, one has only to arm himself with patience and the desire to reach the top of floriculture. To create a beautiful mixed flower garden with your own hands, you only need to understand the basic principles of work and the rules for combining components.
The picturesqueness of the mixed flower garden is caused by the abundance of plantings of different species with different frequency of flowering. Such a plant composition in the country will delight with a luxurious look from early spring to frost if the key components and annual components are correctly selected. Experienced gardeners include hops in the mixborder design to enjoy the beauty of the composition all year round.
Types of mixborders
There are several types of mixed flower beds:
- Perennial mixborders mix beautifully with both flowering plants and species with beautiful forms and leaf colors: hosts, bouzulniki, ferns with delicate leaves, a brunner with a touching inflorescence, a cuff with a cloud of tiny flowers and round fleecy foliage, rogers and others;
- conifer mixborder - the composition is good at any time of the year. All types of dwarf hvoynik are relevant, as well as boxwood, Japanese thistle, juniper, fir, cedar elfin wood. Mixoder from conifers is not picky about care, harmoniously with perennials, which in the warm season decorate the background with bright accents. Daffodils, daylily, geyher and irises are especially popular in the design of coniferous compositions;
- Shrubs mixborders - beautiful flowering and ornamental shrubs make up its spectacular picture. In this case, compact flowering species with a long flowering period are most often used: hydrangea, spirea, rhododendron, tree peony, barberry. Among dekorativnolistnyh especially relevant are those that are prone to cutting and the formation of the crown.
The shrub mixborder includes boxwood, magonium, iberis, and as a seasonal supplement is made up by ground cover plants in the form of carpet phlox, stonecrop and other creeping ones.
When making a flower garden from mixed groups of plants, it is necessary to take into account the compliance not only in height, but also in the level of occurrence of the root system. Successfully side by side with small roots and bulbous, for example, tulips and dwarf phlox. Also successful joint planting spring bulbous and large perennials with loose root system, such as peonies.
How to make a mixborder with your own hands?
First of all, determine the place for the future flower garden. Further, depending on the characteristics of the selected area, design the composition, choosing the appropriate plant varieties. If the terrain is sunny, then it is easy to combine various flowers and green cultures, and to organize a mixed border in a shady area, it is worth choosing more carefully among the current types of garden plantings. In addition, the peculiarities of the soil composition and humidity are taken into account, since a favorable environment is necessary for the full-fledged vegetation and flowering of each agricultural crop.
When developing a mixborder project, choose plants that do not grow rapidly. There are also inappropriate cultures with a creeping type of rhizomes. Varieties of trees that require separate maintenance are not suitable for the combined flower bed, as with close placement there are difficulties with agricultural engineering.
Give each perennial and shrub enough space for vegetation. In the first year of registration of the flower bed, more annuals are planted to fill the voids between the key plants. As perennials grow, they reduce the number of annual plantings, creating small patches in the garden composition with the help of the latter.
Types of mixborders in color
The philosophy of a mixed flower garden eliminates dissonance between plants, they are designed to coexist in harmony. The chaotic color combination is also destructively reflected in the concept of the garden, therefore it is worth choosing very strictly cultures for the composition of mixborders. There are the following types of combined flower bed:
- harmoniously calm.
Novice florist is better to use for the mixed border design shades 1-2 colors, easily combined with each other.
The monochrome mixborder, which consists of flowers of a single shade, looks stylish and harmonious. It is easy to notice a variety of forms and textures, it is pleasant to admire the combination of multi-colored leaves among the monochrome combination of inflorescences. An elegant mixborder with peonies, hydrangea, chrysanthemum and asters of one palette beautifully combines tulips, chamomile and poppy.
A bright combination of flowers in a small garden composition impresses from afar. The most spectacular combinations are yellow and purple, a mixborder with white and scarlet roses looks best. It is convenient to combine small bushes with large flowers or small-flowered plants, planted with compact groups. Stylists garden exterior recommend to arrange a small contrast flower garden in the front area. At the same time it is necessary to observe the proportions so that the composition does not look defiant.
Properly decorate the foreground: plants for mixborders and other components
When arranging the front of the flower bed, consider the following aspects:
- the extreme line is formed by plants that retain their decorativeness for a long period. It is desirable to plant low-growing evergreen crops or winter-green species: creeping conifers, hellebore, bergenia, lungwort and low daylilies, silverweed or annuals of small stature;
- it is necessary to create a clear line between the lawn and the flower arrangement. Often use large stones, spread on the perimeter chumps. It is easy to arrange an English mixborder with a small groove of black earth framing a flower garden. The easiest way to fix the perimeter with a narrow brick or tile curb. As a result, the composition acquires clear boundaries, looks well-groomed.
The classic mixborder design includes not only garden vegetation of various species, garden sculptures, flowerpots and bowls with perennial and annual crops, topiary of evergreen shrubs are relevant in the design.
Today, the mixborder of shrubs and perennials is actively used in the arrangement of country estates. To properly organize a flower garden, make a plan of planting using a computer program or manually using a pencil and notebook. See virtual examples of mixborders and based on them plan your own sample, taking into account the features and weaknesses of the site.