Laying laminate on the ceiling is a rather complicated and costly process in terms of time and effort. But you can finish this material yourself without the help of construction crews. Let's try to learn the technique of creating a laminated ceiling with your own hands.
Advantages and disadvantages
The use of flooring in the design of the ceiling has a lot of advantages. And although the strength and resistance to deformation inherent in laminate is not so important in this matter, such an original ceiling design has a lot of advantages that distinguish it favorably from traditional versions with plaster, paint or tensile structures.
- The ceiling sheathed by a laminate is capable to serve to the owners not one ten years. Due to the absence of mechanical impact boards for a long time retain a great appearance.
- Laminate dies are easy to clean. To remove stains, you need to have on hand only water and a piece of soft cloth.
- A wide range of materials allows you to create a unique pattern and a complex surface texture, which can surprise even a battered designer.
- If when laying laminate on the ceiling to use additional sound-absorbing materials, scandals and noisy parties of neighbors will no longer be for you to cause insomnia and bad mood.
- Laminate flooring has a democratic price, and if you buy it during seasonal and holiday promotions, you can significantly reduce the cost of repairs.
Laminate selection criteria
If, after reading the first section of the article, you have decided to lay the laminate on the ceiling, the initial stage of this project will be the choice of material. To date, there are no models that are suitable for laying in the upper part of the room.
When buying a material do not pay attention to such indicators as strength and resistance to mechanical stress. Choose the lightest and thinnest boards that will not weigh down the structure in particular, and the interior as a whole.
The length of the dice, depending on the size of the room. Laminate ceiling should be laid with a minimum number of joints. Remember that too wide products make it difficult to install the ceiling, because putting such dies is very hard.
Methods for finishing the ceiling with laminate
Laminate ceiling fix easy. At the moment there are two technologies for laying material, you just have to get acquainted with the subtleties of each technique and determine the most convenient way for you.
Regardless of the choice, preparatory work must be carried out in both cases. A couple of days before the project, place the laminate in the room where it will be laid, and lay all the boards on the floor. This will help the dies "acclimatize" and take the desired shape.
I must say that the laminate on the ceiling should have a perfectly flat surface and a minimum number of joints. Since gluing boards to the ceiling implies its preliminary alignment, due to the complexity of the process, it is advisable to use this technique only in cases where the height reduction is unacceptable.
Surface leveling is a very time consuming and time consuming process. The ceiling must be sheathed with sheet material, several times putty, and only then coated with a primer. The process uses a two-component adhesive, which until the moment of complete drying releases harmful substances into the environment. Having decided on this job, get ready to carefully follow the instructions for using glue.
If you arrange in this way a small part of the ceiling or glue over a small surface, you can fasten locks on the floor. Then you just need to apply glue to the ceiling and attach laminate to it.
Now you know how to make a ceiling of laminate with glue and supports. I must say that the process is very laborious, because for the strength of the structure and the absence of pronounced seams it is necessary to tamp the dies together. Such manipulations can deform the canvas, and some elements will begin to peel off. Experts recommend to hammer in a groove small nails. This will help avoid the displacement of the boards and the appearance of irregularities.
Installation of laminate under the frame
This technology is used much more often, and it is not by chance. Laminate on the ceiling is laid in a matter of hours, and the technique does not require preliminary surface preparation. Installation is simplified by the absence of wet and dirty processes.
This option is convenient because under the laminate you can hide all the necessary wires for lighting, which significantly increases the aesthetic appeal of the ceiling. Hiding all unnecessary from the ceiling, you can install a variety of lamps, including soffits.
To date, there are two options for installing laminate to the ceiling. In the process of laying can be used metal profiles or wooden beams. Of course, fans of ecology argue in favor of natural materials, but experts argue that the metal structure - a guarantee of strength and durability.
Step by Step Installation Guide
- Determine the level and beat it on the walls. This stage can be decisive in the aesthetic appeal of the future ceiling.
- To determine the level, use the laser level. Install it to the center of the ceiling and determine the installation points for the side moldings.
- Making the ceiling covering laminate, install the frame elements across the room. The first boards should be laid perpendicular to the wall on which the window is located. Attach a metal or wooden structure to the ceiling using self-tapping screws with dowels. Observe the step between the elements - it should not exceed 50 centimeters.
- Start laying at the far corner of the room, nailing the boards with small, barely noticeable nails.
- To avoid distortion of the structure, observe one rule: between the wall and the laminate board there should be an indent of 1 cm.
- The elements are docked as usual, that is, the lock is first closed, and then the laminate leans against the surface and nails are hammered.
- After laying all the dies, install the ceiling plinths.
As you can see, the process of laying laminate to the ceiling can be done independently. Such a design of a bedroom, living room or children's room will be not just a stylish interior decoration, but its main decor. In addition, the laminated ceiling absorbs noise, and you and your neighbors will no longer wake up from extraneous noise. Now you have learned how to pack this material, and can do it yourself. Good luck with the repair!